Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 16:18:05 EDT

On Friday 28 September 2007 01:04, SOTL wrote:

> The original posting concerning Linux being ready for the desk top all
> except for vocabulary was published by the more senior of the two. A fact
> that anybody that knows what desktop users use their computers for would
> find ludicrous

Sorry but I've been converting corporations to Linux for years and it works
just fine.

> At the4 current time there is a civil war brewing and is all but open out
> warfare in the Linux kernel group. Not certain of the details. It does not

Hmm. I've been following the kernel group for years. It is not your typical
chit chat group with nice small talk. They are very outspoken in a very frank
way. They are not however "at war", and have been working together for years.
If you ever spent time in a south american home you'd see the same hot
language, but they are not at war.

> I do not believe that one should have to run VMWare to run Windows to run a
> accounting program, CAD program et.
>
> I see no reason that all of this can not be done in Linux.

Then put it together or pay someone to do it and stop bitching because nobody
has done it for you. It is really not anyones responsibility to write a CAD
program for you and your industry.

There are already CAD available for Linux but it's not AutoCAD.

> Putting all this together I get rather pissed off when a senior editor of a
> top Linus publication spouts out such trash that Linux is ready for the
> desk top exactly as was stated 5 years ago. Linus is not desk top ready and
> will not be desk top ready in the next 5 years.

You have obviously not gotten the know how to build a stable desktop. I've
been using KDE for something approaching 10 years, and though it has had
issues, it is more than ready for the corporate world as my clients can
attest.

> The first thing that has to happen is that there becomes sufficient push by
> Microsoft with its idiotic Vista or sufficient internal pressure to develop
> or make Windows programs available that the desk top user requires.

What!?! This is nonsense. What does MS have to do with Linux? Just about
nothing.

> The first step in that direction will come about when the Linus is great
> shrills admit that there is a problem.

No. I'm sorry but in this thread it's becoming clear to me that you are the
one that is the problem. I don't like saying it but you are just spouting
trash. You are probably honestly speaking your mind, but you sound like
someone who's bought into MS FUD.

Actually I have a friend that have had all sorts of problems with Linux. A
nice guy but not very apt with computers. He feels very knowledgeable, but
always ends up making a wrong turn and ends up with something broken.

To him Linux sounds good but is very broken. As seem to be the case with you.
It's very unfortunate that it's not working for you, and my friend. So far
computers with options can be configured wrongly and thus fail in the eyes of
some.

To put it into perspective, there are whole governments around the world that
have standardized on Linux. Largo City is one of them. They converted a few
years ago and have never looked back.

So just looking at the stats, you are outnumbered.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.