Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: SOTL (sotl155360@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 01:04:24 EDT

Since Paul does not understand I will assume that the rest of the list with
the exception of one or two likewise is as clueless.

South Florida is a very interesting place. Home to some real characters and to
some individuals who have done and been in some very interesting places.

If I recall correctly and my recollection on this part may be faulty but one
such individual worked for one of the government agencies, NSA I believe, in
a computer capacity and later became a senior editor on News Forge one at the
time top Linux publications. There was also a reporter from a second Linux
publication on this list. A girl that I have not observed to be active is a
long time. She may still be hear I do not know.

The original posting concerning Linux being ready for the desk top all except
for vocabulary was published by the more senior of the two. A fact that
anybody that knows what desktop users use their computers for would find
ludicrous

At the4 current time there is a civil war brewing and is all but open out
warfare in the Linux kernel group. Not certain of the details. It does not
matter. The two sides are the traditionalists and the desk top focus people.
I find this extremely fumy as for desk top usage the kernel has been better
than the Windows kernel for years.

Why then is Linux not used on the desktop. The operating system is certainly
as good as and in most cases better than the Windows operating system.

The only reason for one not using Linus is that one can not. The applications
and there are about 25 critical applications that different groups of desk
top users find are required in their usage are not available. Out of that 25
or so I am familiar with about 5 in my world. I have to have CAD. The only
viable CAD package that allows me to interchange files like ones does word
files is AutoCAD. Our account folks use Timberline. A package that I am not
familiar with. Our document people who put together the prospectives and
instructions manuals use page maker. There is no Linux equivalent to any of
this. This means lock in to Windows.

I do not like Windows.

I hate dual boot machines. I had my fill of them.

I do not believe that one should have to run VMWare to run Windows to run a
accounting program, CAD program et.

I see no reason that all of this can not be done in Linux.

Putting all this together I get rather pissed off when a senior editor of a
top Linus publication spouts out such trash that Linux is ready for the desk
top exactly as was stated 5 years ago. Linus is not desk top ready and will
not be desk top ready in the next 5 years.

Why?

The first thing that has to happen is that there becomes sufficient push by
Microsoft with its idiotic Vista or sufficient internal pressure to develop
or make Windows programs available that the desk top user requires.

The first step in that direction will come about when the Linus is great
shrills admit that there is a problem.

Advancement of this first step is why I am posting this comment and posted the
two previous such posting in the last week.

When a senior editor of News Forge is that out of the loop there is a problem.

To all others I apologize for posting what most will call a rank.