Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 18:54:04 EDT

SOTL wrote:

waay to much....

After reading this entire thread from the previous posting on out I have
a few points to make.

1.) SOTL, you took it upon yourself to turn a thread about an office
suite into a 5 year recap and unload session. Granted there was
discussion about bloated GUI software and such but it was in context
related to the office suite. Please, in all sincerity, don't do this.
start a new thread or fork the subject line so people know what's going on.

2.) I work for a company which has been using Linux for servers for 5
years now. Our desktop environment is split between OS X 10.4 Mac's,
Windows XP, and yes, desktops running Linux. 85% of my trouble tickets
come from the Windows machines. Over the course of time I have put
people who have never seen or heard of Linux in front of pre-installed
machines and they have been just fine running oss and commercial
software written for Linux. No errors, no crashes.

3.) You honestly need to do more research before you speak. Things have
changed over the last several years as you keep referencing... and the
majority of programs that matter in the business world are available and
work great on a Mac. We use a compliment of Microsoft Office, Adobe
Creative Suites, Macromedia/Adobe Flash and Dreamweaver, Maya, SketchUp
and more all on Macs. Electronic Arts now produces a chunk of serious
games for the Mac and Now that Apple has switched to Intel processors,
I'll bet your precious AutoCAD gets ported over too in the near future.

So after insulting me:

--quote--
"I will assume that the rest of the list with the exception of one or
two likewise is as clueless"
--/quote--

and making ill-advised narrow view statements:

--quote--
"Linux and the Mac OS for serious business usage are no better than Vista"
--/quote--

when we have used Linux and Mac for the last 5 years in a semi-mid sized
business to do the majority of our work on....

I'm officially done with this thread.

Also, please proof read your messages before you send them. Linus is
not Linux, but is related to the topic and is very confusing to read in
context. Your posts are very difficult to read due to format and
grammar. Please take a few moments to look over what you have written
before you post.

Thanks!

Mike Branda Jr.