Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: SOTL (sotl155360@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 09:57:17 EDT

On Sunday 23 September 2007 12:33, Robin - Bartow FL wrote:
> [...]
Don't know. Yes. Maybe.

First drawings which I work with daily are in AutoCAD Light format of DWG.
AutoCad uses DFX format.
QCAD will not read DWG format, only DFX.
Got senior CAD person to transfer DWG formated drawings to DFX.
QCAD will open drawings but when work drawing is opened X reference drawing is
not opened.
For those of you out of the loop AutoCAD has a drawing called X reference on
which one puts the basic building blocks of the drawing which do not change
in this case the building roon and floor plans. When one then designs the
lighting, power, mechanical et that is done in another drawing called the
working drawing. The X reference is shown in the working drawing as the X0
layer. Both the X reference and the working drawing have over 60 layers each.
So, what is known is that something is niot working. Is that the drawing that
was transfered or QCAD?

First order of resolution is to get a very simple drawing with an X reference
that contains only 1 layer and a working drawing with only one layer. A bos
for X refernce and an X for the working drawing will be no\ice. Next is to
transfer this from AutoCAD Light to AutoCAD format and then check the drawing
with AutoCad. Since I did not do the original transformation and I do not
have AutoCAD but AutoCAD Light that was impossible. If I can accomplish this
and that is a big IF due to corporate political considerations and access to
computer which I do not have. If that works then I will attempt to re do read
function of drawing in QCAD on my own home computer system.

The real solution to the problem is for QCAD to read and write AutoCAD Light
DWG format. That of course is out of my league.

> 1. Did you search the Help manual and QCAD WWW forums?

No I do not know what the basic problem is. Is it my files? Is it QCAD?

> 2. Have you posted it where other QCAD users are likely to see it?

The issues with AutoCAD and QCAD are well known in the CAD world with most
people adopting the psychology of who cares because even as crappie as
AutoCAD Light is it is still superior to QCAD which to these people implies
that Linux is not ready for prime time. Hear it daily. Known as the office
Linux nut case since as one of the senior people described it "We make our
living in CAD and QCAD and Linux just do not cut it."

Since users thinks in terms of applications then if one looks on the latter as
an expression of frustration with an application program it all makes sense.
IF one looks as this as an expression of Linux then it of course makes no
since.

For most business applications XP is horrible. Vista is completely trash. Mac
OS is not in the game. And, Linux is so far out of the game that it is a bad
joke.

Networking and internet is another story and this comes from the fact the the
Linux developers are more network oriented than desktop oriented. In order to
do group development you need a network. While this does not prevent desktop
development it has meant that the desktop applications are lagging the
network applications. Besides there is no glory is desktop applications
compared to bragging on the network about the nifty thing you have developed.

It not the language being used. It is just what I said 5 years ago on this
list and in meetings. It is the applications that are not compatible.

So when people start talking about compatibility the always start with a
comparison of OpenOffice and Microsoft Office.

That exist so what? At best that puts Linux in the category of a MAC as far as
applications.

Now how about my stock calculation program - Windows only.
or
Finance programs - something like Timberline.
and a hundred others. Windows only.

That is the problem!