Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: SOTL (sotl155360@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 11:07:33 EDT

We were discussing why Linux is not acceptable to the masses.

Well I am writing this in OpenOffice.
I attempted to start Open Office a minute ago and it started but I must have
double clicked again (I have my Linux box set up for single click) which
meant that OpenOffice halfway opened with this damn OpenOffice blue scree
which stops and gives one the Linux equivalent of the Blue Screen of Death
since double clicking screws OpenOffice initiation up to such an extent that
the computer freezes up leaving the only way out as <Ctl><Atl><BackSpace>.
This existed has existed since the Star Office days. I am on the Open Office
list and have long since given up bitching about it.

You recall my computer tower, the one with the drawer in it for the HD so that
I could put a complete Linux system on one HD with out the fancy VMWare
controls et. The only way I know to evaluate a operating system is to do a
evaluation on the OS. Any way I still have it

Lets see I have one system I am currently using Fedora 6 which works
reasonable well which if you recall Fedora 6 came in Fedora 6 Basic and
Fedora 6 add ons

Well in Fedora 7 they combined the two. Well and good until you go to some
site like CNN where you will be surprised how many times you experience the
Linux equivalent of the Windows blue screen of death. What appears to happen
is that something gets hung in a loop from which there is no escape except
<Ctrl><Alt><Back>.

On another disk I have OpenSuSE 10.2. Most things work except when you desire
to go on the internet. If I put any Linux system in the computer except
OpenSuSE boot and go on line then put the OpenSuSE system in and OpenSuSE
will go on line. If I then shut down and attempt to reboot OpenSuSE it may go
on line and it may not. This issue has exist4ed with US internet providers
since SuSE 6.0 and this has occurred with me on at least 5 DSL providers 2
mine 3 office.

If one is really intestered in Boom Box and movies one can not use a US based
distribution due to crazies US laws on copyright so I have Sabasian and
Mandriva.

First Mandriva. Mandrake is an improvement so why bother?

Sabasian is a great Italian distribution until one wants to update. Well
something doesn't work on all distributions. With Sabasian it is update.

Somewhere there is an HD with Unburnt on shoved back in the back of the
cabinet. Good place for it as Scientific Linux is a much better distribution
unless you have special driver needs as on a laptop.

The latest and greatest Scientific Linux is on another HD. Only issue is that
for its stability you are about 3 years behind the curve which leaves out
important networking features. If you do need that and a less than current
distribution is ok then Scientific Linux is your thing.

Sorry do not have a PC Linux as first it is US based and second it is a take
off of Mandriva.

Now for the continuations of why Linux is not accepted.

I wanted to install a data base on my laptop using Open Office as the
connection vehicle. Now that in itself raised major issues as this was a few
years back and Open Office just was not up to it at that time. It is now.
BUT! The problem I ran into still exist and is a big reason why people will
shy away from Linus. Mandrake, yes this was still in the Mandrake error,
modified connectors so that they would work. Unfortunately they did not
rename them when the did so. It took me three months of installing connectors
to find out that I was installing the right connector but that I was getting
it from the wrong source. The Sun connector would not work. You had to get it
from an obscure Mandrake source Finally got one computer up and running about
3 AM and decided to call it quits because I had simply had it. Came back to
the issue 3 days later to find that Mandrake had updated the connector and
that the new super wham doom connector was completely worthless as it would
not work. I can just see this happening in the business world. The computer
would be headed out the door or window if a convenient door was not
available.

We could go rounds and rounds with similar stories but the point is that:

Linux is NOT stable it keep changing on an hourely bases which is good for
development and horrible for production and the Linux distributions that are
desk top stable like Scientific Linux are missing important functions
required for networking.

Buy this time the Linux shrills are in orbit beyond the Moon so I will bottom
line this and quit.

Linux and the Mac OS for serious business usage are no better than Vista is
but for completely different reasons with neither usable on the desktop. That
leaves XP as the only OS which can run the required application programs and
all it crash, trash, spy, Microsoft feedback and spam issues as the only
viable half ass usable operating system. A fact that I hate and constantly
bitch about but can make no headway in having developers resolve the issues
as that is not where the glory is.