Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 19:50:39 EDT

> Well I am writing this in OpenOffice.
> I attempted to start Open Office a minute ago and it started but I must have
> double clicked again (I have my Linux box set up for single click)

So, what this sentence says to me is that you've intentionally
configured your desktop in such a way that you're unable to use it...

> which
> meant that OpenOffice halfway opened with this damn OpenOffice blue scree
> which stops and gives one the Linux equivalent of the Blue Screen of Death
> since double clicking screws OpenOffice initiation up to such an extent that
> the computer freezes up leaving the only way out as <Ctl><Atl><BackSpace>.
> This existed has existed since the Star Office days. I am on the Open Office
> list and have long since given up bitching about it.

...and now you're blaming (different) software because you've been
given the ability to do so. Those bastards.

> You recall my computer tower, the one with the drawer in it for the HD so that
> I could put a complete Linux system on one HD with out the fancy VMWare
> controls et. The only way I know to evaluate a operating system is to do a
> evaluation on the OS. Any way I still have it
>
> Lets see I have one system I am currently using Fedora 6 which works
> reasonable well which if you recall Fedora 6 came in Fedora 6 Basic and
> Fedora 6 add ons
>
> Well in Fedora 7 they combined the two. Well and good until you go to some
> site like CNN where you will be surprised how many times you experience the
> Linux equivalent of the Windows blue screen of death. What appears to happen
> is that something gets hung in a loop from which there is no escape except
> <Ctrl><Alt><Back>.

Actually, BSOD requires a reboot. If you're ctrl-alt-backspacing, all
you're doing is restarting the shiny graphics. I strongly doubt that
it's impossible to recover from as many things as you describe without
restarting X; it seems like you just kill the whole thing every time
something goes wrong instead of trying to deal with it. And once
again, you're confusing a web browser (and possibly/probably
third-party plugins) with the fedora distribution with linux itself.

> On another disk I have OpenSuSE 10.2. Most things work except when you desire
> to go on the internet. If I put any Linux system in the computer except
> OpenSuSE boot and go on line then put the OpenSuSE system in and OpenSuSE
> will go on line. If I then shut down and attempt to reboot OpenSuSE it may go
> on line and it may not. This issue has exist4ed with US internet providers
> since SuSE 6.0 and this has occurred with me on at least 5 DSL providers 2
> mine 3 office.

And now you're either blaming 5 separate ISPs for your general
Linux-related problems, or blaming the entirety of Free Software for
the internets. I agree wholeheartedly that somebody definitely should
be blamed for the internets; however, I'm not sure you've picked an
appropriate scapegoat.

> If one is really intestered in Boom Box and movies one can not use a US based
> distribution due to crazies US laws on copyright so I have Sabasian and
> Mandriva.

What? You're using the same (possibly ILLEGAL OMG!) software no
matter which distribution you install, from Red Flag Linux, a product
of Red Chinese communist hippie hackers who just want to steal our
hard-earned American code; to Mandriva, an export of those
baguette-eating, Freedom-fry-hating cheesemongers; to Ubuntu, which
singlehandedly maintained apartheid in South Africa for over 8000
years; to Debian, a product so evil that its latest release was
unanimously rated a -14 of 10 by a group of completely unbiased
reviewers.

> First Mandriva. Mandrake is an improvement so why bother?

Possibly because one might presumably like software released fewer
than 30 months ago.

> Sabasian is a great Italian distribution until one wants to update. Well
> something doesn't work on all distributions. With Sabasian it is update.

After some googling, I figured out you were talking about the Sabayon
distribution. Sabayon, apparently, is a livecd-based modification of
the Gentoo distribution, one famed as being second only to Debian in
ease and flexibility (although not necessarily timeliness) of
upgrades. I'm sure you're right, though. Additionally, if you
remember, which I don't, because I'm fewer than 80 years of age, Italy
is the country once ruled by Mussolini, who made the trains run on
time, so obviously Sabayon will only run effectively on a computer
that is powered by steam, and will only update its software as
regularly scheduled in a biweekly-published timetable.

> Somewhere there is an HD with Unburnt on shoved back in the back of the
> cabinet. Good place for it as Scientific Linux is a much better distribution
> unless you have special driver needs as on a laptop.
>
> The latest and greatest Scientific Linux is on another HD. Only issue is that
> for its stability you are about 3 years behind the curve which leaves out
> important networking features. If you do need that and a less than current
> distribution is ok then Scientific Linux is your thing.

So, it's a much better distribution, unless you need to run some of
that pesky software that I hear is all the rage with those young
people nowadays. Don't they know that an operating system is just for
controlling the blinky LEDs on their keyboards?

> Sorry do not have a PC Linux as first it is US based and second it is a take
> off of Mandriva.
>
> Now for the continuations of why Linux is not accepted.
>
> I wanted to install a data base on my laptop using Open Office as the
> connection vehicle.

Why? I want to install a spam filter on my desktop, using Neverwinter
Nights as the connection vehicle, but I suspect I'll encounter
problems if I try.

> Now that in itself raised major issues as this was a few
> years back and Open Office just was not up to it at that time. It is now.
> BUT! The problem I ran into still exist and is a big reason why people will
> shy away from Linus. Mandrake, yes this was still in the Mandrake error,
> modified connectors so that they would work. Unfortunately they did not
> rename them when the did so. It took me three months of installing connectors
> to find out that I was installing the right connector but that I was getting
> it from the wrong source. The Sun connector would not work. You had to get it
> from an obscure Mandrake source Finally got one computer up and running about
> 3 AM and decided to call it quits because I had simply had it. Came back to
> the issue 3 days later to find that Mandrake had updated the connector and
> that the new super wham doom connector was completely worthless as it would
> not work. I can just see this happening in the business world. The computer
> would be headed out the door or window if a convenient door was not
> available.

In the business world, servers and workstations are managed by
(ideally) competent professionals who know:
1) that an office suite isn't a good database application for
mission-critical software, and
2) that blindly autoupdating any software, particularly that for which
configuration is delicate, is a bad idea

> We could go rounds and rounds with similar stories but the point is that:
>
> Linux is NOT stable it keep changing on an hourely bases which is good for
> development and horrible for production and the Linux distributions that are
> desk top stable like Scientific Linux are missing important functions
> required for networking.

How dare those programmers keep making improvements at all hours of
the day and night?! I've 3/8 of a mind to send them a nasty email
right this second demanding that they cease and desist, so that we can
enjoy our bug-ridden, 5-year-old software in peace, the way Microsoft
graciously allows us to pay handsomely to do.

> Buy this time the Linux shrills are in orbit beyond the Moon so I will bottom
> line this and quit.

Wait, did somebody win the latest X-Prize?

> Linux and the Mac OS for serious business usage are no better than Vista is
> but for completely different reasons with neither usable on the desktop. That
> leaves XP as the only OS which can run the required application programs and
> all it crash, trash, spy, Microsoft feedback and spam issues as the only
> viable half ass usable operating system. A fact that I hate and constantly
> bitch about but can make no headway in having developers resolve the issues
> as that is not where the glory is.

That's a shame. I guess all the small-, medium-, and gigantic-sized
businesses that use Linux and Mac OSs for SERIOUS BUSINESS had better
declare bankruptcy and shut their doors. So long, IBM, we hardly knew
ye. Sun, it's been fun. Alas, Home Depot, I knew it well. Ad
nauseum, if you're not there already. I know I am.