Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: Ron Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 20:09:47 EDT

> I love Linux, don't get me wrong, but sadly I believe parent post was
> accurate. The fact is that for the "average" desktop user, Linux is not
> ready for the desktop. For the advanced users, it may be. But I have
> had THREE new laptops in the past fifteen months, and NONE of them
> worked without some significant tweaking in some sort of another, be it
> sound, wifi or whatever...none was a clean build.

>> Linux is NOT stable it keep changing on an hourely bases which is good
>> for development and horrible for production and the Linux
>> distributions that are desk top stable like Scientific Linux are
>> missing important functions required for networking.

>> Buy this time the Linux shrills are in orbit beyond the Moon so I will
>> bottom line this and quit.

   I've never had any lesson in computer anything, but I have happily used
Slackware LINUX 100% since July 1998. I love it, I am now using Ver 12.0

   Nothing ever changes unless I do it, nothing is automatic, I want to use
it, I mount it first. Never had it on a laptop. I work mostly in LINUX and
only use the X-windowing system for image viewing, browsing, pdf & ps viewing
image manipulating, (ImageMagic and gimp) watching TV (ATI-TV-view) and
Open Office. (little else) (I ftp with mc!)

   It works for me because I can read error messages and books I can
diagnose problems. I live with win-2000 at work and it is so slow
I wish it was LINUX 100% of the time I use it.
   Most people can't, they can't tell they are out of gas when it stops.

--
     from Ron in Florida, in the heart of oppressive property TAXES
                   (It's not the millage, it's the valuation!)