Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: SOTL (sotl155360@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 13:47:15 EDT

On Sunday 23 September 2007 18:37, David R. Meyer wrote:
> Holy smokes...I never thought I'd see that posted on SLUG.

You must be a SLUG newbie. This is just a continuation of postings from 5 or 6
years back.

> Regretfully,
> you're pretty darn close to the mark, and I have many Linux advocates
> who will tell you that is why they run Linux on their servers, but not
> on their desktops. Me...I have a Windows XP laptop for my work computer
> (corporate standard) but Macs throughout the house. Just bought a new
> one yesterday as a matter of fact. Runs like a champ.
>
> I love Linux, don't get me wrong, but sadly I believe parent post was
> accurate. The fact is that for the "average" desktop user, Linux is not
> ready for the desktop. For the advanced users, it may be. But I have
> had THREE new laptops in the past fifteen months, and NONE of them
> worked without some significant tweaking in some sort of another, be it
> sound, wifi or whatever...none was a clean build.

Best laptop for Linus is IBM Thankpad. Not the new ones but the IBM design
ones which you can still buy new and eve there you are going to have major
issues with winmodem. The IBM suppliers keep changing the damn thing which
means that it requires a different driver. Why IBM Thinkpad? Simply because
IBM spent 3 years making Linux work on their Thinkpads.

The Thinkpad list is

linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org

You will have to figure out how to subscribe I long since forgot how. I did
find this at the bottom of a posting.