Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 18:37:52 EDT

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 11:07, SOTL wrote:

> Linux and the Mac OS for serious business usage are no better than Vista is
> but for completely different reasons with neither usable on the desktop.

After over 20 years with Unix/BSD/Linux and having evaluated about 100
distro's and O/S's I sometimes feel sooo in agreement with you. Sometimes I'm
ready to return to pen and paper, after user four letter words in half a
dozen languages.

Sometimes there is something that drives you so absolutely bunkers, it's not
funny. The good part is that I have a few computers and almost never run the
same distro/OS on any two. It gives me a perspective and some interesting
experiences.

The thing that I always return to is that there is nothing else that I also
feel such a strong bond with because I know whatever I run into there is
almost always someone caring who will fix it. I know there is a future in my
investment (of time and effort) in OpenSource. I know I won't be stuck in
corners some of my customers got into in the MS world.

If you don't use random h/w in a corporate setting and what you have is well
supported in Linux, and in my case KDE, it is working great in most
corporate settings that I've seen or built. More stable and faster that MS.
(Sure Linux does have pitfalls but with enough of a background you can
usually work around them.)

People with no computer know how, who only see how well something works or
not, walk up to me and say that after I did, whatever I did, it's been
working swell ever since.

So I would not agree that it's not ready to fit corporate needs, if you can go
about it from a good IT background. Which is needed by any O/S if you are
doing it right. IT is not, and I doubt ever will, be something done well by
non IT people. ((That is not in any way addressing you SOTL))

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.