Re: [SLUG] Reiser4

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 18:52:31 EDT

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Mike Branda wrote:

> Anybody have any experience with Reiser4? I stopped using Reiserfs (Reiser3)
> a few years back due to a serious loss of data thanks to the crappy Reiserfs
> recovery tools. The ext3 fsck works sooo much better.
>
> However, I'm currently formatting a 1TB Drive and with ext3, I only get 871GB
> usable. For giggles I formatted Reiserfs and I get 932GB usable. That's a
> 61GB difference!!!

That's 6%. How important is data recovery? I'll wager that it's more than
6% of $DRIVE_PRICE.

> Seeing as how I need as much of that drive as possible, I
> went on a search to see if the Reiserfs tools have gotten any better. I
> noticed that Reiser4 was released in 2004 and figured I'd inquire about it.

I'm sure Hans Reiser is a smart guy, but his filesystem doesn't inspire
confidence in me.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.