Re: [SLUG] Reiser4

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 17:06:26 EDT

Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> Mike Branda wrote:
>
>> Have you ever had to use xfs_check or xfs_repair? How good are they?
>> XFS formats out with the same 932GB as Reiserfs so that's good. I
>> know Apple uses a version of XFS but I haven't had any experience with
>> JFS. Any reason to use it over XFS?
>

> Yes. I've used xfs_repair numerous times, and I've really had great
> success with it.
>
> Apple doesn't have a version of XFS that I'm aware of, they _do_ have
> ZFS in the Leopard betas (10.5) which might be out soon.

Sorry, I was confusing HFS with XFS. My Bad.

> Fellow LOPSA/SAGE members online swear by JFS, but I've been pretty
> hardcore XFS for a while now (we use XFS exclusively at NKS, 1500+
> servers can't be wrong).
>
> The largest problem we've had with XFS is in the case of a power outage.
> Any files opened for writing tend to end up null filled (full of zeros),
> as the metadata is journalled, not the data itself (as with all
> filesystems _except_ EXT3 in journaled or ordered mode).

Well, this is actually for a series of hot swap drives. My main servers
use ext3, then the daily backup server is ext3, and these disks are a
3rd copy to go off site in case of fire. They will only be written to
on a semi-weekly basis and furthermore, only files that have changed
will be written via rsync so as long as that's the only XFS flaw/issue....

> I'd shy away from Reiser4 and ext4, if for no other reason than their age.
>
> That being said, ZFS is a relative newcomer and I can't speak highly
> enough about it.

The only reason I would use any of the above would be for benchmarking
curiosity and for giggles and grins. I just wanted to toss ext4 out
there too just in case anybody wasn't aware of it's existence. I'll
read up on ZFS too. I wasn't aware of any of the above 3 until I went
looking anyway so this gives me something new to read!

Thanks again!

Mike Branda Jr.