[SLUG] Core 2 cooling compound

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2007 - 17:59:49 EST

Hi,

I just got my first Core 2 CPU from Intel and the fan that comes with it
appears to have three strips of grease at the bottom.

Can someone confirm that is what it is, and that I twist the fan to spread the
grease out more evenly before securing it.

I've heard various things in the past discussing the "best" technique to apply
the compound so I decided to do some research before going ahead with this
new system.

Since my early days of using heatsinks with electronics there were
nothing "fancy" about it. You just made sure you had an even result. I've
never had a CPU die, but with all the new discussions of how it should be
done...

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.