RE: [SLUG] Core 2 cooling compound

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2007 - 21:08:10 EST

Steve,

It's thermal compound. I usually put a thin coat on the heat sink and a
second thin coat on the CPU (top metal surface). Caution! Many of these
compounds are conductive (esp. the silver ones) so you don't want to get any
on/near the contacts. Since the CPU gets hot, some of these compounds can
run, drip into the CPU socket and blow the chip.

You don't want to get it too thin, either. You want enough to insure good
thermal contact, but not enough to run. If you have the non-conductive
compound, you have a greater margin for error. I like to install the heat
sink by touching one edge first, then rocking it into place. I put a little
strip of grease on the edge that touches first, so my rocking motion spreads
it over the surface, preventing it from trapping air between the cpu and
heat sink. If your heat sink must be installed from above (i.e. tilt method
won't work), then put a small dab in the center of the cpu. As you press
down, it spreads. To get it to spread evenly, you'll have to keep it pretty
level. Installing it offset could push the thermal compound to one side,
resulting in uneven distribution.

I've never burnt a chip with this method, but I know less 'detailed'
installs seem to work. The good thing about Intel CPUs is they usually have
a thermal diode that will slow the chip down if it over heats. Thus, it
won't fry if you don't get it perfect. OTOH, getting a good install is
important for the chip to reach max speed.

Check your CPU temps after install (generally via the BIOS setup).

Ken Elliott