Re: [SLUG] Nokia N810 Fun

From: Steven Van Tilburg (vt@ariestechgroup.com)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2007 - 18:11:21 EST

Mario Lombardo wrote:

> Yeah it's such a fun gadget! I own both the Nokia 770, and I have an
> 800 on the way. I bought it for $228 from buy.com I think I got a
> sweet deal, but that was about two months ago. I enjoyed the 770, and
> now I'm looking forward to hacking on the 800. Great little machines,
> even when my 770 WSOD'd. Nokia fixed it within ten days though. I
> still feel good about the 770 purchase, which was $129 from woot.com
> during mid-Summer. I think you can get the 770 for under $100 if you
> look hard enough.
>
> I want to find a portable bluetooth keyboard now. Most I've found are
> pushing near $100. Ouch!
>
> /mario

I bought a N800 a few months ago, and still hack around with it. I have
two 4GB SDHCs in it for storage and additional virtual RAM.
I'm using a gum pack rechargeable, bluetooth GPS unit along with
MaemoMap to do GPS. I just installed the Garrett VM application,
which emulates PalmOS so those applications could be run on the N800.
With GMail adding imap finally, email is better than the web
version. I'm also using the Mozilla engine for web browsing instead of
Opera with better results, IMO.

There is a good sized community of developers out there both porting
stuff to the AMTEL proc on the N800 and writing original programs.

VT

P.S. Mario: http://tinyurl.com/yvvmv9