Re: [SLUG] Nokia N810 Fun

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2007 - 09:35:08 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2007 2:48 AM, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Chuck Hast wrote:
>>

>>> I got a nokia n810 at compusa the other day.
>>>
>> What is it? A mini-computer? A cell phone? A PDA?
>>

> It is a micro-computer, here is a site that describes the machine and some
> hacks to make it even more useful:
>
> http://www.arachnoid.com/linux/nokia/index.html
>
> This device has replaced my laptop as my machine of choice to use while
> out on the floor in the glass bottle plants I have to visit. Most of them have
> WiFi so I can just link back to my laptop which is in a office in the plant,
> while I am out on the production floor, if I need to look at diagrams I just
> pull the one of interest down from the laptop (I tried VNC but the egg suck-
> ing IT department has these stinking laptops locked down so I can not open
> a port to get to the VNC server) but I can use samba to go in and get the
> file of interest off of the machine. That way I do not have to carry around
> a bazillion TIFF files of our machines.
>
> It has kept me entertained in the hotel learning how to use it and figuring
> out how to get more out of it. (Hey!! it is Linux that should say it
> all there!!)
>
> I have installed a SSH client on the corporate laptop, so I just ssh into it
> and go to work on the CLI, can't get much better than that!!

Yeah it's such a fun gadget! I own both the Nokia 770, and I have an
800 on the way. I bought it for $228 from buy.com I think I got a
sweet deal, but that was about two months ago. I enjoyed the 770, and
now I'm looking forward to hacking on the 800. Great little machines,
even when my 770 WSOD'd. Nokia fixed it within ten days though. I
still feel good about the 770 purchase, which was $129 from woot.com
during mid-Summer. I think you can get the 770 for under $100 if you
look hard enough.

I want to find a portable bluetooth keyboard now. Most I've found are
pushing near $100. Ouch!

/mario