Re: [SLUG] Does Verizon's Fios "optimizesettings" apply to Linux?

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2008 - 02:53:52 EST

On Saturday 12 January 2008 15:43, steve szmidt wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008, Rich Morgan wrote:
> > Donald E Haselwood wrote:
> > > Anyone know what verizon's "optimizesettings" does, and is this
> > > something that is applicable to Linux (I suspect not)?
> >
> > Possibly. It could tweak generic network settings like the MTU that may
> > need to be optimized for Verizon's fiber service. Without more
> > information as to what exactly "optimizesettings" does it would be hard
> > to say.
>
> Yeah, I'm sure this is not something needed in the Unix world. Windows does
> have a problem with packetsize.

I hadn't thought about the MTU.

> More PR to appear valuable than real
> difference. Maybe increasing some buffer. Most of those players like to
> pretend how they give you faster broadband than others.

Yes indeed. Their web site stuff strikes me that way--glitzy graphics with
virtually nothing behind it, as well as things that don't work. I tried to
order online and after wrestling with it for 4-5 hours I finally gave up and
called and asked if I could get the web specials over the phone. They guy
said yes, and mentioned that the web site has problems...and they are trying
to sell a better internet service?! (BTW, that "optimizesettings" program
bombed.)

> Verizon has been suffering from "cable-hysteria" and loosing business for
> years. Now they want to try to change the playing field.

They also have a problem with cell phones. A young person with a cell phone,
renting an apartment, doesn't need a phone line.

BTW, when I look at all the labor and materials that went into making the
install (we are over 400 feet from the tap on the street) they laid out
serious money that will take a long time to recover. It looks like a good
service, but I hope they don't end up having to cut-corners, or go bust.

Don