RE: [SLUG] Thunderbird - Starts at the bottom of the email?!?! WHYGOD WHY

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2008 - 22:54:16 EST

>> Does this make sense?

Depends.

First there is the question of the need for EVERY message to include the
complete thread.

Second issue would be the reading order.

If you trim the message (like this one), there's not much to go through so
bottom posting works best.

But if you don't trim (and plenty don't) then you have a long,
difficult-to-read mess. First, it is a disservice to those who are active
on the list, in THEORY to make it easier to follow for the non-active
readers. In reality, a single message cannot contain the entire thread, as
the messages branch. So anyone who wants to understand the entire
discussion will need all the message for full effect. My contention is that
we waste bandwidth and make it more difficult to read when we include the
bulk of the thread above the most current response.

Ken Elliott