Re: [SLUG] FiOS and Linux

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 07:52:23 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2008 1:27 AM, Rich Morgan <rmorgan@heavysystems.com> wrote:
>> Chuck Hast wrote:
>>> I was thinking of going to FiOS but if they charge $99 for a static then I will
>>> stay with my RR static at $69... What do I get over what I have now that
>>> makes it worth $30/mo more?? I have the basic SoHo package and have
>>> had it now for I guess about 5 years or more.
>> Well, everyone's situation is different, but I'll be saving money. I'm
>> currently paying a little over $100/month for RR "Business" class with
>> static IP, blah blah blah. In addition to that, my land line Verizon
>> POTS is about $50/month. I currently do not have cable tv.
>>
>> However, with the basic FiOS service, I'll be getting the same speed
>> internet connection as my "business" cable line AND phone AND tv
>> included *at the same price*. So I'll be saving about $50/month and
>> getting TV for free, if you want to look at it that way.
>>
>> Makes sense to me, YMMV.
>>
> I pay about $121/mo for the cable which includes TV and the RR account.
> I do not have the digital cable yet, but do have all of the normal analog
> channels they offer plus some digital that the digital TV picks up. Just got
> the digital TV the other day. I have Vonage and have had it now for I think
> about 4-5 years. It has been very good. If I can get FiOS with a price similar
> to that I have with the cable then I would go that direction, but sounds like
> if I go FiOS with the static IP I am going to be paying something like $150/
> mo or there abouts. I looked at the phone end of it, my wife calls Costa Rica
> a lot to talk to family and Verizon has terrible pricing to Costa Rica, $0.27
> /min as opposed to $0.09/min. I also get a good chunk of Europe at my
> flat rate. I would like to have the fibre but not if it is going to cost me a
> arm and leg...

To me, paying my ISP for a static was an incredible waste of money. I
went with a virtual private server (http://vpsland.com/xlseries.html)
with static IP/reverse DNS for $21.99/mo. It's not web hosting, you get
full control of the OS (CentOS 4-5, Debian, Gentoo, FedoraCore 5-7,
Ubuntu 6.06-7.10)
For less money then a ISP static you get WAY more flexibility.

I swear this is not a plug and I don't work for them :) I'm just happy I
went that route.