Re: [SLUG] FiOS and Linux

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 08:28:55 EST

> To me, paying my ISP for a static was an incredible waste of money. I
> went with a virtual private server (http://vpsland.com/xlseries.html)
> with static IP/reverse DNS for $21.99/mo. It's not web hosting, you
> get full control of the OS (CentOS 4-5, Debian, Gentoo, FedoraCore
> 5-7, Ubuntu 6.06-7.10)
> For less money then a ISP static you get WAY more flexibility.

Yep. I have something similar (in co-op with some other people) with a
different provider. Running your own server from home is both obsolete
and pointless. Virtualization has totally changed the hosting business.

I mean, who wants to worry about computers breaking, our shoddy local
electric companies deciding we don't deserve service now and then (not
to mention hurricanes), and all that? Pay your $20 - $50 a month (which
you can split with others, as I do) and spend your energy on something
more worthwhile, like sitting back with a tall, cool Yankee Pirate (Rum
+ Cranberry juice) and a Terry Pratchett novel.

- Robin