Re: [SLUG] Looking for a way (that works) to back up entire system

From: Tom E Craddock, Jr (sigtom@sigtom.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 12:06:46 EST

Donald E Haselwood wrote:
> What is a good way to backup the entire linux system?
>
> I've googled backing up and tried various variations of the following, all
> with no success:
> Suse 10.3's Yast backup
> cp -a
> rsync -a
> tar -cfz
>
> I got an external 500GB drive, and set up three partitions: one for mac, fat
> for win, ext3 for linux.
>
> I've tried so many things that I can't present a concise problem, though the
> most common one seems to be running out of disk space. ('umount'ing all
> partitions except the source & destination solved one problem.)
>
> Very time consuming "experiments", i.e. hours per trial.
>
> I was wondering how Slug'ers are doing system backups (and of course the next
> step is recovery, but that comes later).
>
> Don

Don,

I have 4 servers, all running a distro called ClarkConnect, that is
based on RH4/5. I didnt install and setup the backup solution they use
on my own, as it came already prepared and w/a UI on the web interface,
which is Bacula, which works great. I have it setup to do 2 separate
backups per machine, one does the whole FS, in case I need to do a
barebones recovery, and I also have just the / and config/setup files
backed up if I ever just want to do a fresh install, but still have the
old files to reference/use/study. It backs up over the network, to
connected media, multiple tyes from USB HDD, internal HDD, Zip Drive,
optical, etc. It will also backup clients (*nix, WinXP, Vista, and Mac
i THINK) to the server running bacula, also over the network or to one
of the attached mediums. Can also do backups over WAN. Im not sure,
but I think that work on it may have stopped or maybe just stalled at
some recent point. I get any support I need for Bacula they ClarkConnect.

Tom Craddock, Jr.