[SLUG] Looking for a way (that works) to back up entire system

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 11:39:46 EST

What is a good way to backup the entire linux system?

I've googled backing up and tried various variations of the following, all
with no success:
Suse 10.3's Yast backup
cp -a
rsync -a
tar -cfz

I got an external 500GB drive, and set up three partitions: one for mac, fat
for win, ext3 for linux.

I've tried so many things that I can't present a concise problem, though the
most common one seems to be running out of disk space. ('umount'ing all
partitions except the source & destination solved one problem.)

Very time consuming "experiments", i.e. hours per trial.

I was wondering how Slug'ers are doing system backups (and of course the next
step is recovery, but that comes later).

Don