Re: [SLUG] newsreaders

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 19:33:58 EST

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Eben King wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
>> In many cases, Debian et al, reconfigure packages, obsoleting packages,
>> but replacing them with equivalent functionality. For example, in the
>> cupsys stuff above. Cupsys itself goes away, but cupsys-client,
>> cupsys-common are added instead. It's probably a wash-- just
>> Debian/Ubuntu realigning packages with a different scheme. It doesn't
>> look like you're losing fetchmail, just fetchmailconf, which isn't a
>> loss. You do lose synaptic, but I'm guessing that after this evolution,
>> you can get it back.
>
> It's doing its thing.

It crashed partway through and took X with it. gdm didn't restart X.
O-kay. So I ran "/etc/init.d/gdm stop", gdm's not running, it says. Dandy.
I ran "apt-get install pan" again, and it told me that I had to run "dpkg
--configure -a" first. I did, no output. Then I ran "apt-get install pan"
and it finished what it started. OK, back into X. "/etc/init.d/gdm start"
does nothing (apt took out gdm and dicn't replace it? Oh boy...), but
"startx" as me works.

Note: aptitude doesn't work in rxvt...

All right, how do you use aptitude again? I found the package I want:

c synaptic <none> 0.57.11ubu

I hit + and it changes to

ci synaptic +5550kB <none> 0.57.11ubu

and turns green. At the bottom of the screen there's a white-on-red two
lines that say

[1(1)/...] Suggest 16 keeps
e: Examine !: Apply .: Next ,: Previous <-- grey

What are "keeps"?

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!