[SLUG] no sound, but fixed

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2008 - 01:19:53 EST

Here's an easy way to fix things that might work.

Sound died on my machine without a good reason. I hadn't done anything but
start a movie in mplayer which hung and wouldn't exit, so I rebooted
(nicely) to regain control. Afterward, sound wouldn't work in X. I have a
script that watches the web server's log file and plays a *ding* when I get
a hit. While no sounds worked in X (mixer did, but aplay hung) I heard a
*ding* when X exited on the way down.

Reboot, no change. Shut down/boot up, no change. Then I remembered that
sometimes hardware gets into a weird state and won't reset until it loses
power, and that the PCI(e) bus is kept "hot" even when the computer's turned
off, to allow wake-on-LAN. So, I shut down, *turned off the power supply*,
waited until it died, then brought it back up. Voila, sound.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81

"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!" "Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.