Re: [SLUG] CD-playing pseudo-stereo

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 21:57:18 EDT

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, ronan wrote:

> Eben wrote:

>> I have a bunch of CDs (music, not money), and I'm going to inherit more
>> (um, yippee, sorta). I have a 200-disc carousel, and it's full. So what do
>> you folks recommend? I can keep on buying carousels (those that daisy-chain
>> this time), or I can rip all the CDs into MP3 or ogg and build a Via-based
>> machine to play them that has:
>>
>> a solid-state hard drive or three (I sleep in there, so noise is bad,
>> mmmkay?)
>> a reasonably pretty interface
>> a halfway decent sound card (it's going to an amp, so one headphone output
>> is all I need)

> I would rip to FLAC, then transode to MP3, and archive the FLAC files. If
> you decide that you want a higher quality, or lower quality, MP3 then you
> can re-transcode the FLAC. Re-transcoding already compressed MP3 kind of
> sucks.

I agree, it does. Can't transcode _up_ in bitrate and get any benefit.
But why archive the FLAC? I've got the CD. If I _did_ archive it, it would
probably be on a {C,DV}D-R, whose inks have sucky longevity compared to a
no-ink factory-pressed CD.

> As for the solid state drives, don't you have another machine in the house?
> You can host the audio files on regular hard drives on that machine (much
> cheaper), where you won't hear the noise, and access the files over a network
> connection.

Would have to be a wireless connection, as running a wire to there involves
going through at least one wall. But yeah, that sounds reasonable.

Any ideas on an interface that doesn't look like something that crawled out
of a computer lab? Maybe trawl hackaday.com for ideas?

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     royalty.mine.nu:81
Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who