Re: [SLUG] CD-playing pseudo-stereo

From: ronan (ronan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 06:02:26 EDT

> I agree, it does. Can't transcode _up_ in bitrate and get any benefit.
> But why archive the FLAC? I've got the CD. If I _did_ archive it, it
> would probably be on a {C,DV}D-R, whose inks have sucky longevity
> compared to a no-ink factory-pressed CD.
To me, the act of ripping 300 CDs is a PITA. I would rather buy an extra
hard drive, and/or find some off-site storage to store that FLACs, than
have to go through the effort of re-ripping (unless your 200 CD carousel
has a robot arm that can load the discs into your CDROM drive?)

> Any ideas on an interface that doesn't look like something that
> crawled out of a computer lab? Maybe trawl hackaday.com for ideas?

Maybe Banshee, or one of the other 'heavy' music players? Would you put
a monitor on this box, or use a TV? I think MythTV has a module that
could do this, but I don't know how well it can search/sort such a large
collection. BTW, if you run MythTV on your "server", you might be able
to get away with one of those little no-drive wireless media players.
These boxes hook-up to your TV, and they browse your server via DNLP.
They can be had for as little as $70; probably cheaper than hand rolling
a Via box. Several manufacturers make these: Buffalo, D-Link, Hauppauge,
etc. IIRC, the Playstation3 also comes with the software to be a DNLP
browser.

--ronan