[SLUG] Re: speaker wackiness

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 15:47:33 EDT

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Eben King wrote:

> I fiddled with the connections and worked out that the front speakers work,
> but the front output is quiet. Right now the front speakers are hooked up to
> the rear outputs. Sounds normal but the mixer is weird. It didn't move in
> the fall, so it's odd that it'd be damaged. Could be the cables got pulled
> and that damaged the sockets, but there's plenty of slack in the cable.
> Soundblaster Live! card, Logitech 4.1 speakers. What could be the problem
> with the card? If it's dead, what card should I get that supports wavetable
> and the mixing of multiple audio streams in hardware?

OK, the card's not dead, at least I don't think it is. I got all four
speakers to work at the same time by fiddling with the mixer, and enabling
"3D Control - Switch", turning up "3D Control Sigmatel - Depth" to 67
(choices are 0, 33, 67, 100). Since the rears worked, I left "3D Control
Sigmatel - Rear Depth" at 0.

This can't be normal, as I never had to do that before. Any idea what
changed? I did boot with most peripherals (including the
speakers) disconnected; could that have an effect? Didn't think speakers
could be detected like that.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
A. A Top Poster                       \  http://www.fscked.co.uk/