Re: [SLUG] Linux into a T41 Thinkpad

From: Robin - Bartow FL (suncoastlug.mailbox@gibp.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2008 - 11:44:12 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Smoot rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com
To: slug@nks.net
Sent: 6/23/08 3:42 AM
Subject: [SLUG] Linux into a T41 Thinkpad

> Got an IBM T41 w XP Pro in it Off Lease for $399 at the Tiger Direct/CompUSA
> Store in Brandon. How do I get at the hidden partition to copy XP to CD's or a
> DVD before I partition the hd to put Linux in it? The Microsoft number is
> printed on the bottom of the laptop.
> I am afraid I might trash the the backup files while while setting up Linux.
> I thinking about putting SUSE 11.0 on it
>
> Richard Smoot

1. If there is any kind of return policy what-so-ever... make sure you run a full read/write test on the hard drive and then verify the restore process from external media before installing any other operating system.

2. Visit
http://lifehacker.com/software/partition/download-of-the-day-gparted-live-cd-175024.php
and
http://lifehacker.com/software/lifehacker-top-10/top-10-free-computer-system-recovery-tools-251903.php