Re: [SLUG] Long term availability

From: Larry Brown (larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 21:17:59 EDT

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 15:11 -0400, steve szmidt wrote:

> I always use/recommend SuperMicro as one of the most reliable h/w available.
> Every system we ship is from them. Can't really recall one failing in over
> ten years. Though we usually don't manage them directly.

You say every system you ship... You sell servers? Feel free to catch
me off line if you do. I used to build systems and we had a lot of
good luck with ASUS. I've heard SuperMicro has a pretty good name but
haven't personally used them. I'd just as soon as build them but our
company would rather have someone assemble them so that they can rely on
them to swap units out etc. (and they could outsource my job without
being stuck supporting the systems) We will be looking to probably boot
these via PXE and be running from a ram disk. They will process some
audio streams and send the output to a SAN via the second NIC. So they
won't need any drives and should be pretty static sitting in their
racks... We should be able to do this relatively inexpensively.

Larry