Re: [SLUG] Vinyl LP Albums to Audio CDs in Linux

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2008 - 18:39:31 EDT

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Daniel Jarboe wrote:
>> The OP was what linux programs to use... now how much hardware he could buy
>> to make it sound as if it was professionally mastered onto CD. Pete hasn't
>> mentioned what hardware he has, and it's not yet known if it has a phono
>> preamp built-in, or anything about the amp he's running through. Maybe
>> start with a $2 RCA adapter before and the software it takes before adding
>> time and $$$ to acquire more hardware before determining if he even needs
>> it?
>
> Well, I have a Sherwood RX-4103 integrated amplifier. There are a couple of
> unused outputs on the back, I thought I would start with "Tape Out". The
> sound card is integrated into the Intel 810 series motherboard, P IV 1.7.
>
> Will this computer be OK? It plays audio CDs just fine.

If the phonograph plays records with acceptable levels of rumble and hiss,
the amp plays them through "Tape Out", and the computer can record in stereo
from "Line In" with acceptable quality, it should work. Sounds like all you
need is time and assorted adapters and cables.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.