Re: [SLUG] two-fer: ibook and TVout

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 17:32:00 EDT

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Paul Swider wrote:

> I'm a newbie and have two problems.
>
> 1) I'm trying to use an old ibook for couch surfing, nothing heavy duty,
> read email, watch weather radar. The original OS9 is like running in sand
> and I don't want to pay for OSX, which wouldn't run on this machine anyway.
> So I installed Yellow Dog Linux and it works but is still pretty slow. And
> these days, to view most Web sites, you need some flash or other goodies,
> which are not part of the included Firefox 1 and, to date, beyond me to
> install.

I deliberately didn't install Flash on either this machine or the laptop.
Keeps juvenile borrowers from keeping it so long, as they can't play most
web games. If you get Flash, your quality of life^Wweb surfing will be much
improved by FlashBlock, a FF extension.

> 2b) I also tried to set this machine up as dual boot, using the old monitor,
> with Mepis fully installed on a secondary HD, but it hiccuped on the MBR and
> I couldn't get it to boot into anything. I don't know a clean way to fix
> this,

Use a bootable CD (such as the one at http://www.sysresccd.org/Download ),
fire it up, and do what's necessary to fix your bootloader. Sorry, don't
know about ppc bootloaders.