Re: [SLUG] FF using excess CPU cycles

From: blee2@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 21:30:52 EDT

Thus Eben King hast written on Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 12:31:47PM -0400, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
> I looked at "top", and it seems Firefox (2.0.0.14) is using more CPU than I
> think it should, especially considering I haven't used it in the last few
> minutes:
>
> 6704 eben 0 500m 371m 21m stext S 22 18.3 259:32 firefox-bin

I get this same thing a lot too.

 6979 leebc 25 0 520m 359m 30m R 89 35.5 226:34.10 firefox-bin

Of course, firefox using lots of processor tends to make Xorg use a lot too.

My system is a dual core machine, so I can still do stuff, even when
FF is at 100%. I generally have FF open for days at a time and with 50
to 100 tabs open. The pages that give me problems usuauly have some
sort of java or flash on them. Even with java and flash blockers,
the problem still crops up, but it may only be on sites that I've allowed.
Somtimes cookies are involved.

The latest site I have issues with is Verizon Wireless, but I've also
had problems with nethack.de in recent months.

Sometimes pages that auto-reload will cause this.

> That's not unusually high, BTW. This is probably due to some animated GIF
> or malformed HTML. Bad scripting is a possibility, but since I disallow
> Javascript by default, not as probable as might be expected. How can I tie
> it to a particular window? Previously, the method for dealing with similar
> situations was "close recently-touched windows until the problem goes
> away". That is a rather blunt instrument...

That's pretty much the solution I use. Generally I'll wait for a
while to see if the problem goes away, try to kill the latest tab I've
opened, then kill FF if it doesn't resolve. I have been known to wait
20+ minutes. Then I reopen and Session Manager recovers my 50+ tabs. ;-)

I don't have any other ideas how to track it down to a specific tab,
but there might be something on Mozilla's website.