Re: [SLUG] FF using excess CPU cycles

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 22:22:14 EDT

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, blee2@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> Thus Eben King hast written on Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 12:31:47PM -0400, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:

>> I looked at "top", and it seems Firefox (2.0.0.14) is using more CPU than
>> I think it should, especially considering I haven't used it in the last
>> few minutes:
>>
>> 6704 eben 0 500m 371m 21m stext S 22 18.3 259:32 firefox-bin
>
> I get this same thing a lot too.
>
> PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 6979 leebc 25 0 520m 359m 30m R 89 35.5 226:34.10 firefox-bin

Wow, 89%. I'd be up in arms, or using opera or w3m a lot more frequently.

> Of course, firefox using lots of processor tends to make Xorg use a lot too.

Yep, normally it's #1 and FF is #2.

> My system is a dual core machine, so I can still do stuff, even when
> FF is at 100%.

So's mine, but still. If FF sucks down one core and everything else shares
the other, it effectively turns the machine into a single-CPU box.

> I generally have FF open for days at a time and with 50
> to 100 tabs open.

Ditto. I must be a FF junkie.

> The latest site I have issues with is Verizon Wireless, but I've also
> had problems with nethack.de in recent months.

I might have a Verizon page for email open. I'll check that.

> Sometimes pages that auto-reload will cause this.

Yeah. Unfortunately, you can't tell which pages do this unless you're
lucky.

>> That's not unusually high, BTW. This is probably due to some animated GIF
>> or malformed HTML. Bad scripting is a possibility, but since I disallow
>> Javascript by default, not as probable as might be expected. How can I tie
>> it to a particular window? Previously, the method for dealing with similar
>> situations was "close recently-touched windows until the problem goes
>> away". That is a rather blunt instrument...
>
> That's pretty much the solution I use. Generally I'll wait for a
> while to see if the problem goes away, try to kill the latest tab I've
> opened, then kill FF if it doesn't resolve. I have been known to wait
> 20+ minutes. Then I reopen and Session Manager recovers my 50+ tabs. ;-)

Aha. Kill FF and relaunch. Idea.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
      If you need someone to blame