Re: [SLUG] LVM VolGroup00

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 17:06:21 EDT

Spake Larry Brown on Monday, September 08, 2008 at 01:48PM -0400:
> Hello sluggers....
>
> Anyone real knowledgeable about LVM that might be able to lend a hand?
> I had an old Virtual Machine that had two virtual disks. I was trying
> to access the first disk from a new Virtual machine but the problem was
> that the volume group on the old VM was VolGroup00 which is the same
> name as the primary disk of the new VM. So for some reason I had it in
> my head that changing the volume group wouldn't affect the physical
> volume in the group. And perhaps if I had used vgrename VolGroup00
> VolGroup01 from knoppix instead of vgcreate VolGroup01 /dev/sdb2 it
> might not have lost the data. But as you know by now I used vgcreate.
> As far as I can tell it is impossible to access the physical volume in
> that group now.
>
> Am I correct in this assumption? I'd really like to get what was on
> that volume... I have subsequently tried to mount the second disk and
> it says that its volume group is incomplete so the second disk must have
> been added to VolGroup00 in the old VM as well.

You want the vgrename command (and probably a way of booting linux on
another medium: for instance, booting a knoppix cdrom ISO.

for details, consult man 8 vgrename.

And for future reference, always give volume groups sensible, unique
names. I know this is difficult on HedRat-based systems, but it's worth
it. Using hostnames is usually a good idea -- as long as you choose
unique hostnames.

--
When a camel flies, no one laughs if it doesn't get very far!
-