Re: [SLUG] LVM VolGroup00

From: Larry Brown (larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 20:09:48 EDT

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 15:06 -0400, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, blee2@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> > If you've overwritten the vgdescriptor area on the partition, which it
> > sounds like you may have, you may be SOL.
>
> With a regular partition, if you delete the partition the data's not gone.
> So if you create another with the same endpoints, all your data is still
> there. Is the same true with VGs?

This would be great if this is the case. If I just try to revive the
old drive it gives me the UUID of the old primary drive. If I can
change the UUID of the old primary drive back to its original UUID could
it be possible it will recognize it and offer them up?

If the vgdescriptor is overwritten does it remove any references to the
original file system?