Re: [SLUG] A question of routing

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 19:07:39 EDT

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Ken Elliott <kelliott11@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Sounds like you need the external router (172.28.13.* <-> internet) that
> supports VPN. Once you are in via VPN, you should be able to see the
> internal router (92.168.2.* <-> 172.28.13.*) and VNC via port number into
> the 92.168.2.* PCs.
>
> Am I understanding this correctly?
>
> Would a headless Linux box do? Say, Smoothwall?
> http://www.smoothwall.org/

Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do, but it appears that the
router I have though it supports VPN it only does so for the client
side on the LAN side, the WAN side is peer to peer with another
router, I am trying to get into the WAN side from a VPN client and
so far no joy. Just to check and confirm it I move the computer over
to the LAN side and it linked right up... I found out all of this after I
had sent the initial note. I need a router that is client agnostic on
either the LAN or WAN side.

If I had the space I would get a small machine and do it with a head
less Linux box and be done with it but do not.

I just need to find a router with a VPN that will support client access
from either side of the router, not just peer to peer on the WAN side.

Thanks for the info, will continue to look.

--
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;