Re: [SLUG] A question of routing

From: Larry Brown (larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com)
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 10:43:18 EDT

When you VPN from the WAN to the router, your Internet client should get
an IP address on the LAN. This should allow your client to hit any
machine in the LAN and any machine on the LAN should be able to hit the
client on the WAN using the address he got from the VPN connection.

On the other hand...

If you want to connect a remote LAN to your LAN, you will have to have
some smart equipment. You either have to pay for firewall/routers that
are sold with the ability to do this or you should go with headless
Linux boxes. The trick is to have separate LAN IP ranges on the two
LANs and have static routes on the two Linux Routers with VPN links to
one another that allow anyone on say 192.168.4.0 to talk to everyone on
192.168.5.0 and the routes on the Linux boxen will take care of routing
through the VPN.

It may be possible to use the same subnet on the two LANs using a bridge
interface but I don't know enough about this configuration to be sure it
can work as expected since I've never done it.

I hope this makes sense...

Larry