[SLUG] Re: Video server, audio server and client

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2008 - 22:49:04 EDT

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:45 PM, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
> I need some guidance here. I want to set up a small Linux machine to
> handle a video stream from a camera and audio from microphone along
> with incoming audio from a remote site. The idea is to place a camera
> on a industrial machine, when there is a problem, the operator can
> position the camera, connect a headset with mic, call a remote viewing
> site and have a engineer look at his streaming video. I have been looking
> at possible solutions, the first that comes to mind is a stripped down
> Zoneminder setup, I do not need to record the video, but it would be nice
> to have more than one cam on the system just in case the customer wants
> more than one device observed during the session. Cameras are cheap
> now so that is not a issue. The issue with ZM is that it does not handle
> audio, but it handles incoming connections to it's video server very well
> and I figure if I can come up with a separate audio system then I can
> get my prototype going, and at that point get some additional help with
> things.
>
> The way we want to do this is, the customer discovers a problem with
> a machine, the local mechanics and engineers try to fix it, but have a
> problem. We already use VNC to access the processors that are on
> the machine so we have a path into the machine already.
>
> The customer will call us and advise us of the issue, we will then use
> a web browser to connect to the remote machine and as soon as we
> have good video, and the customer has a service person hooked up
> and on line we will proceed to observe the issue and try to give help
> based on what can be seen on the video feed.
>
> As I said I can set up a stripped down ZoneMinder to start with, prob-
> ably move to WebCam once I am familiar with it. What I have to figure
> out is how to handle the audio, needs to go both directions. Any ideas
> on that one?? Some sort of audio server that will handle the audio part
> of the connection.

One thing, I know we can test the audio with something like Skype, and
indeed the first one will probably use Skype or something similar to handle
the audio path, but fielding this with Skype may present some issues as
some countries are blocking VoIP because it hits their cash cow telco
operations. So I need to come up with something that I can run on the
two ends that will work similar to skype but not attract the attention that
skype has, i.e. be able to change the port number used to carry the VoIP
is probably the fix.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;