Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu client trying to access shared folders on server (Win 2003)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2008 - 01:00:42 EDT

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 06:39:35PM -0400, Alberto Suarez wrote:

> Ken,
>
> When you say Linux box, I am assuming you mean my laptop client trying
> to access the Windows server 2003 ?
> Sorry-I'm a Linux n00b. Want to make sure I understand.
>
> My understanding from my readings on Samba - is that is not needed
> when you just want to access Window folders on a server??
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
>

> My laptop with Linux (Ubuntu) in it is just a client trying to share
> folders-which is my problem-cant access shared folders on server..

I strongly suspect that Ken is right. A Windows file server isn't like a
web server, where anyone who knows the IP address can surf to it and
look at the website files. You need your machine to speak the language
that Windows understands, and more importantly, provide the security
information that Windows demands.

The "language" Windows understands, translated into Linux-ese is Samba.
Then you have to give Windows the right username and password, which
presumably you already have for that server. But Windows generally
requires a type of encryption (unless you disable it in Windows'
registry) that Samba can provide.

In the end, you have to load Samba and set up your smb.conf file
correctly. Where is that file? Depends on the distribution, but
generally somewhere in the /etc file hierarchy, probably
/etc/samba/smb.conf under Debian or Ubuntu. Generally, the most
important values to set in your smb.conf file for a client are:

workgroup = whatever_it_is_on_your_server
encrypt passwords = true

Other than that, you'll need to do some Samba study on how to configure
the rest of the file. Two particularly important files are:

/usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/ClientConfig.html
/usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/diagnosis.html

That's *probably* where they are on your system if you have Samba and
the Samba documentation installed, but location could vary. The latter
file is one I've used many times to troubleshoot Samba connections. It
takes you from the simplest tests to the most complex and explains the
ramifications of the results of each test as you go. You probably have a
preconfigured smb.conf installed with Samba, and you can start and stop
Samba with

/etc/init.d/samba stop
/etc/init.d/samba start

or simply

/etc/init.d/samba restart

which should stop and start Samba in one step.

This should be enough to get you going.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster