Fwd: [SLUG] Ubuntu client trying to access shared folders on server (Win 2003)

From: Alberto Suarez (asuarez@uw211manasota.net)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2008 - 00:12:31 EDT

Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply. For some reason I dont have the Shared
Folders option. When i go to System I dont see the "Shared Folder"
option. Im running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy. Ive seen videos where that
option is available......i think 6.1 had that option......maybe in
8.04 is stored somewhere different or called differtent??>.....kind of
like Vista did with Control Panel on XP? LOL ;-)

I have all of the infromation needed to access the server. My problem
is knowing what to do. When I boot with XP I can access the shared
folders on the server. The only way i can access shared folderswith
ubuntu is through running Vbox on Windows and using remote
desktop......

One thing worth mentioning RE remote desktop (Booting from Windows)
inside the office is that when I am inside the office where the server
is located you CAN NOT type the IP address...........for ti
hangs........but instead.. if you type the name of the shared folder
located in the server it goes right in and allows access.

Please keep in mind my education with networks is that of a 1st grader.....

 When I am with a different connection outside the office and DO USE
the IP address it gives me access.

Alberto