Re: [SLUG] Re: Video server, audio server and client

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 19:40:36 EDT

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
<robin@roblimo.com> wrote:

>> So I need to come up with something that I can run on the
>> two ends that will work similar to skype but not attract the attention
>> that
>> skype has, i.e. be able to change the port number used to carry the VoIP
>> is probably the fix.
>>

> You may want to check Gizmo -- http://gizmo5.com -- which is a worthy (and
> IMO superior) alternative to Skype. You can change the ports it uses in
> about 2 seconds through its GUI.
>
> Gizmo has voice recording built-in, too, which may be important in a
> diagnose/repair situation.
>
> In fact, Gizmo has instructions on how to use it as a "baby monitor," which
> might be useful for you, even though you are babysitting machines, not human
> babies.

Hmm, this maybe a good solution, this whole thing will operate on a private
network, the remote end (monitor end) will VPN into the machine in question
and then set up the remote viewing session with the engineer who is working
on the machine. If Gizmo does not require some sort of server in the middle
then this well could be a quick solution.

--
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;