Re: [SLUG] ATA errors

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 14:25:06 EDT

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Matthew Rogers wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> I started getting ATA errors, which caused xmms2d to crash, then got worse
>> and caused the OS to go down. While I'm waiting, I did some
>> experimentation and found that I can run with no errors in kernel
>> 2.6.24-19-generic with "ide-nodma" (albeit with significantly lower disk
>> performance). (The kernel I mainly use is 2.6.24-21-generic). I have a
>> PCI ATA card (no RAID, but two ATA ports) that I'll try tonight to see if
>> it helps.
>>
>> In the meantime, has anyone heard of ATA weirdness with this particular
>> kernel (-21)?

> Drive is toast, DMA requires more work, bearings are probably bad.. Run a
> smart check on it. http://smartlinux.sourceforge.net/

Turns out the slave drive (the backup drive) had it "master/slave" jumper
come off (Vibrated off? Dunno, haven't found it yet.), so that bus
intermittently had two masters on it. _That'll_ hose a bus. Slave's on my
desk, at least until I find a jumper. I think the relationship with the
kernel was illusory. I am curious as to why it changed from sda (ATA then
USB) to sde (USB then ATA).

Copies from main to backup are much faster if I put them on separate busses,
but the cables won't reach and I don't have any extra-long IDE cables.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81
LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone