[SLUG] transferring data between drives

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2008 - 19:59:10 EDT

I'm upgrading hard drives (250 GB to 640 GB) when the new ones arrive in a
few days. Since the sizes differ, I can't just copy the whole drive over
and be done with it. What's the easiest/fastest way to end up with a
bootable drive assuming I want the partitions in the same order, and I know
what sizes I want them to be? fdisk the new drive to lay out the
partitions, mkfs/mkswap each partition on the new drive, tar/cpio the files
in each partition over, dd the new boot blocks (how many blocks?), fudge
anything that needs to know the new UUIDs, and that's it?

Or is it possible to copy the whole drive, then resize the partition table
(I guess)? That would definitely be easiest, if it's possible.

--
The powers in charge keep us in a continuous stampede of patriotic
fervor with the cry of national emergency. Always there has been some