Re: [SLUG] fios

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 01 2008 - 07:49:53 EST

draeath wrote:
> Will these providers never get it? Just give us the damned pipe and be
> done with it. Charge your business customers for SLA and guaranteed
> 9's. All these invisible restrictions, caps, throttlong, resetting...
> just ugh! Nobody seems to play a straight game!

Another thing that irks me is that they include all kinds of webspaces
and email services that I neither want nor use, plus they have huge
budgets (usually over 1/2 of their total charge) for customer service
that spends a lot of time solving customers' Windows problems, not
connection problems.

I would love to have a "stripped" ISP account -- with an appropriate
price break -- that gave me nothing but fast access, and the only
customer support I ever need is to keep the connection going to the
distribution box on the outside of my home. I'm happy to take it from
there.

BTW, my coworker Lee Schlesinger has FIOS way out in the swamps of E.
Sarasota County, and loves it except when it stops working at all, which
it does a couple of times every month for a few minutes or hours. We're
not just talking about his net connection going down, but also phone and
cable TV service.

I'm on straight DSL service myself. Can't get FIOS here yet, and
Brighthouse Cable was not overly reliable when I had it. Versizon DSL
isn't fancy or fast, but it seems to work for me essentially all the
time, no sweat.

- Robin