Re: [SLUG] Open office: convert plain text to .doc

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2008 - 02:50:07 EST

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 01:09:35AM -0500, Eben King wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Paul M Foster wrote:

<snip>

>> You may be right about the X server/client, but Ctrl-Alt-Del is also set
>> in /etc/inittab. The setting tells init what to do when someone presses
>> that key combination. In my case, it's /sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now.
>
> They changed it, at least in Ubuntu:
>
> eben@pc:~$ find /etc/event.d/ -type f | xargs grep del
> /etc/event.d/control-alt-delete:# control-alt-delete - emergency keypress
> handling
> /etc/event.d/control-alt-delete:start on control-alt-delete

This file must be an Ubuntu-ism, because neither that file nor that
directory exist on my Debian box.

> and from Xorg(1),
> ,--
> | The special combinations of key presses recognized directly by
> Xorg
> | are:
> |
> | Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
> | Immediately kills the server -- no questions asked.
> This can
> | be disabled with the DontZap xorg.conf(5) file option.
> '--
>
> That's where it goes, easy to find.
>
>> When the freeze happens, the system doesn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Fn. I
>> generally ssh in and issue a reboot command, just so the disks sync and
>> memory flushes, etc.
>
> Look into the "magic sysrq key". Maybe it's enabled in your kernel.

Yeah, I tried those as well. I dumped a webpage about sysrq into my docs
directory, so I'd have it. But it doesn't appear to work. However, I
haven't checked to see if sysrq is enabled on her box.

I checked, and on my box at least (don't know about Nancy's)
Ctrl-Alt-Bksp is disabled. I kept hitting that combination accidentally
and killing the X server. How can you possibly "accidentally" hit that
key combination? Ask my fingers. ;-}

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster