Re: [SLUG] Open office: convert plain text to .doc

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2008 - 02:58:47 EST

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:44:02AM -0500, Paul Bransford wrote:

> After one of these crashes... do you find anything interesting in your X
> logs, or your ~/.xsession-errors?

I tend not to do too much autopsy work on her box, when the event
appears to be transient. So no, I haven't looked. Actually, these
crashes are infrequent, but they do seem to have something to do with
xscreensaver. So maybe the X logs would be a fruitful source of
information. Next time it happens, I'll try to remember to look. But
like a lot of things I've seen in the X arena, the problem is usually a
bug deep in the bowels of something. Up until the 3.0.1 version of
Firefox, I couldn't use it because it would randomly segfault. I tried
new kernels, new X, new Firefoxes, and nothing repaired it. It was
probably some sort of weird software or hardware interaction within
Firefox. Only installing 3.0.1 made it stable enough to use it the way I
normally use a browser (open all the time with 10 or so tabs).

Anyway, I'll keep this in mind.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster