Re: [SLUG] thunar vs DVDs

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2008 - 02:49:39 EST

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Paul Bransford wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 02:03 -0500, Eben King wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Eben King wrote:
>>
>>> I rebuilt my kernel (several times, until I got it mostly right), and now
>>> Thunar (xfce's file manager) doesn't see CDs/DVDs. It sees USB flash (thumb)
>>> drives, so it kinda works. Plus I can mount and read CDs/DVDs by other
>>> means, so it's not as if I forgot to build some CD support module. Any clues?
>>
>> I take that back, it works on some discs. The successes are a mix of burned
>> and pressed, but always are reported by "file" to be:
>>
>> ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data UDF filesystem data (unknown version, id 'NSR0
>>
>> When that disc is mounted, "mount" says:
>>
>> /dev/hda on /media/CDROM type iso9660
>>
>> and /proc/filesystems contains iso9660 but not udf (no doubt they're
>> configured as modules). For the failures, "file - < /dev/hda" says "data".
>> I haven't figured out the pattern yet.

> Looks like you missed UDF. That's the (normal) file system for DVDs...
> it can handle much larger (<4gb) files than vanilla ISO9660.

Got that and Joliet both:

<M> ISO 9660 CDROM file system support
[*] Microsoft Joliet CDROM extensions
[*] Transparent decompression extension
<M> UDF file system support

I've only made a few DVDs using UDF. Usually I use iso9660, like this
one here:

eben@pc:~$ mount | grep CDROM
/dev/hda on /media/CDROM type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,utf8,uid=1000)

eben@pc:~$ df -h /media/CDROM
/dev/hda 3.0G 3.0G 0 100% /media/CDROM

For some reason it's rejecting a bunch though.

> You'll also want the Rock-Ridge extensions if that's still an option.

Don't see it, must be considered to be too "standard" to warrant standing
alone.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81
Answer: two spoonfuls in my cup, please.