Re: [SLUG] Installing debian variants into a file

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 16:33:47 EST

Spake Paul Bransford on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 at 08:27PM -0500:
> Pardon the cross-group email, if anyone is a member of both.
>
> Here's the situation. My existing install is Fedora 10. I want to put
> Ubuntu (specifically Ubuntu-Studio) or Debian Lenny on the system, but I
> don't have any free partition space, and XFS cannot be shrunk.

You need to (somehow) get a copy of debootstrap,
make a filesystem on a file, loopback mount it (say, as /srv/debian)
and do:

sudo debootstrap lenny /srv/debian http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

which will create a very minimal system in /srv/debian. From there
it's a matter of installing stuff with aptitude.

If you manage to get a copy of debootstrap running on fedora, this
should be relatively easy...

--
"A tinker man steped up beside me, and he belted me in my left eye!"
             -- Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, "Red Haired Mary" (song)