[SLUG] Installing debian variants into a file

From: Paul Bransford (draeath@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2008 - 20:27:53 EST

Pardon the cross-group email, if anyone is a member of both.

Here's the situation. My existing install is Fedora 10. I want to put
Ubuntu (specifically Ubuntu-Studio) or Debian Lenny on the system, but I
don't have any free partition space, and XFS cannot be shrunk.

Does anyone know if debian-installer can be coaxed into installing the
system to a file on another filesystem? The trick is, the file would be
living on an XFS volume... I know how to create a target filesystem, and
how to boot it with grub, but I'm worried about the installer itself and
all the magical scripts that go along with the distro.

If this is going to be a complete pain-in-the-butt I am thinking that
using this as an excuse to do Linux-From-Scratch again...

The intended use will be a realtime kernel with jackd and a few audio
applications. It won't need to be a full desktop system, so it shouldn't
be too horrible to put together. I've done LFS once before, so...