[SLUG] DNS oddities

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2008 - 16:42:06 EST

Folks:

This is one for you network gurus out there.

I have a customer whose hosting provider's phones have been
disconnected, etc. So they turned to me for hosting, and I've moved
their sites onto one of my hosting providers. The problem is that the
old company's boxes are still on the net and still serving up DNS
records, particularly MX records.

I sent an email to one of his domains, which I now host. It bounced
because my mailserver on the internet sent the message to the mailserver
at his old company. Now, I've checked that the DNS records at the
registrar point to *my* hosting company's boxes. So it would appear that
there are DNS caching issues which would cause mail destined for my
servers to end up at his old company's servers. I say, it would *appear*
that way.

My understanding of DNS is that when my client's domain disappears out
of someone's cache, any servers looking for it will do a new search for
it, starting at the root servers, and end up with the registrar, then
end up at the name servers on my hosting provider's boxes. They will
update their caches, and all will be will. The old company's servers
will be ignored. But this has been going on for some days now.

So what happens when one company says it's the authoritative MX/name
server for a domain, and another one claims the same thing? And does
this problem remain until the old company's rent is used up and their
boxes get turned off?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster