Re: [SLUG] Verizon tech admits service rolling disconnects

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 09:53:03 EST

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM, chris lee <chris.a.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

> i tried the FIOS awhile back, had the exact same problem, rolling
> blackouts.
>
> back on Brighthouse again, not a single hiccup.

I've switched between Brighthouse and FIOS quite a few times (they like to
play pricing games and I like to play less, plus at the time Brighthouse HD
compression made for a worse cable picture than Verizon). So today (for the
past 6 months or so) I currently have FIOS for internet, cable, and phone.
I've had no problems with the FIOS internet service itself (and our home
alarm goes off if we lose phone service, so I do know when we don't have
service). However, the Actiontec wireless router/cable-modem they provided
(MI424-WR) is junk. It would crap out with high LAN traffic (a few minutes
into file transfers clients on the LAN get network unavailable no route to
host type errors), the wireless drops frequently and clients will be unable
to reconnect for several minutes or not at all (multiple devices, multiple
OSes). Not fun with NFS mounts! After several drops in one night I just
gave up on it entirely and hung some free after rebate trendnet wireless
router off the actiontec, put all LAN and wireless traffic on it instead,
and haven't had any problems whatsoever since.

Verizon's actiontec is the same one discussed here :)
http://www.sourcesec.com/Lab/soho_router_report.pdf.

But crappy router gripes aside, the FIOS service itself has been good in my
area (NE Tampa) and the speed is as advertised.